Coronavirus Health Concerns Update-April 2020
Like everyone else in the world, the Coronavirus health emergency has resulted in changes to our club’s activities.
Our Monthly meeting and monthly Work Share meeting sites remain closed. We are not meeting to go on photo trips. Our members are staying home and pursuing photographic activities at their homes or on limited trips locally by themselves. Some members are taking a deep dive into photo editing to learn new techniques or experiment with previously taken pictures.
We are, however, continuing our club activities. And, we are taking some interesting and even innovative measures to keep active, photographically, and combat the effects of social isolation.
- Our Work Share “competitions” continue. These are monthly themed contests that members vote on to select winners. There are no prizes, just the satisfaction of peer recognition.
Winners have their photos and a blog post about them posted here. If you scroll down, you can see and read about all the winners for the past three and a half years we have conducted these “competitions.”
The March 2020 “competition” was GROWTH and a winner will be selected Monday, April 6. Check back here soon afterwards to see the photo and read the blog post. The current theme for April is WET, and is open to the end of this month.
- Member Liz Milward has organized a new feature: Daily photographic themes for members. Members can either take photos meeting the daily theme or post favorite photos from the past. Recent daily themes have included classic cars, fish and fishermen, swans, and fences. You never know what will pop up to take you by surprise. And there has been a ton of amazing and inspirational photos posted to our closed Facebook page (a benefit of club membership).
- An interesting innovation that has arisen is the use of the Zoom Meetings App to conduct virtual club meetings. Pioneered by member Eric Loehwing, already a Zoom user, we are developing this capability for our club.
We have already conducted a virtual Work Share meeting with 10 members participating. We plan on conducting our April monthly meeting virtually, with even more members expected to participate.
- Even when things get back to normal and we can meet in person, the Zoom App has the potential for members who can not participate in the physical meetings to still attend virtually, and see and hear our meetings in progress.
- There is also the potential to present photographic educational information using the Zoom App and record these presentations for later viewing.
For more information about these programs and activities, or for information about joining the club, please use the Contact Us form on the Home page of this website. To join the club, please see the Join page on this website and follow the directions to join the club.
Please stay safe, healthy, and active as we all get through this health emergency!